What is Angel Mounds?
Located near the Ohio River in Vanderburgh County, Indiana, the Angel Mounds site (12Vg1) was the residence of a Mississippian community between A.D. 1050 and 1450.
Angel Mounds as regional center included numerous mounds, palisades that surrounded portions of the site, and hundreds of individual structures. The site was eventually abandoned after about 300 years of occupation. The reasons are not well-understood although it is commonly believed to be due to exhaustion of local resources, climate change, and/or internal social stress.